Maxthon 2 in Ubuntu/Linux

Maxthon 2 in Ubuntu/Linux

A Chinese user has sucessfully installed a working copy of latest Maxthon 2 in Ubuntu 8.04 and shared his experience in the Chinese Forum. While I don't use Linux, it's interesting to know if this indeed works. Below is an exract of the post (in Chinese) for anyone who may be interested to give it a try. If you do, I'll love to know your findings

Step 1 - Install Wine 0.9.61 or above

Wine is an environment for running Windows applications in Linux. Please search the Internet for detailed installation instruction.

Note: If you haven't installed any compression/uncompression utilities, a few have to be installed to proceed. Run the command below:
Copy to clipboard
Code:
sudo apt-get install cabextract rar unrar

Step 2 - Install IEs4Linux

IEs4Linux enables the use of various versions of IE in Linux. In this case IE6 version is installed though IE7 version is already available. Please check IEs4Linux's help for detailed installation instruction.

Step 3 - Install Maxthon

To install Maxthon, start IE and open Maxthon's installer (Maxthon.exe) from IE's File menu ("File > Open..."). Alternatively put Maxthon's installer to the folder "~/.ies4linux/ie6/drive_c/" and run the commands below:
Copy to clipboard
Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/<your main folder>/.ies4linux/ie6"
wine "c:\Maxthon.exe"

Step 4 - Install Additional Libraries

Start Maxthon by the running the commands below:
Copy to clipboard
Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/<your main folder>/.ies4linux/ie6"
wine "c:\Maxthon2\Maxthon.exe"
There will be a few error messages about missing libraries, including mfc42.dll, msvcp60dll, and a few others. Copy these dlls from Windows (mostly in the System32 folder) to ubuntu's "~/.ies4linux/ie6/drive_c/windows/system32" folder.

Step 5 - Setting Program Compatibility

By Default Wine sets compatibility mode to Windows 98 for all Windows programs. While Maxthon 2's ansi version supports Windows 98, it is the unicode version actually installed in this case. So Wine is configured to run Maxthon Windows XP compatibility mode:

- open Wine's configuration window
- add "Maxthon.exe" and set compatibility to Windows XP
- in the "Drive" tab, map "C:\" to "/home/<your main folder>/.ies4linux/ie6/drive_c"

Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments

Reply 1# abc@home's post

I've tried almost the same thing under Pardus 2007 without success about a week ago and thought that it is impossible to run Maxthon under Linux.. But now seeing that it is possible, I'm just waiting for Pardus 2008 that will be released 23th June

And congratulations to 0漂移的蜗牛0 (guy that runs Maxthon 2 under Ubuntu)

[ Last edited by Underdose at 2008-6-9 15:07 ]
Windows 7 Ultimate | Internet Explorer 9 | Maxthon 2 (Latest Internal) | Maxthon 3 (Latest Internal)
Join Maxthon Chat
What is Maxthon Chat?
Maxthon Forumu Türkçe Bölümü
cool. wish there was an easier way to do it like on windows .
maybe the one who discovered this could make a ".sh" file script ?
i don't use ubuntu much often , but it might be useful some day to have maxthon there.
It seems that wine has improved a lot over the years. The last time I read about it (a few years ago), it was reportedly barely useable
For me is not working
I could not go trough the fifth step. I could not set the drive c: path. I have these field disabled.

Ubuntu crash report:
Copy to clipboard
Code:
~/.ies4linux/ie6/drive_c/Maxthon2$ ./Maxthon.exe
Maxthon crash report:
Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments
Quote: Original posted by Culprit at 10-6-2008 10:47

For me is not working
I could not go trough the fifth step. I could not set the drive c: path. I have these field disabled.

Ubuntu crash report:
Copy to clipboard
Code:
Maxthon crash report: 18161

Me too, I have the same error with wine 1.0 RC4 and same c: path disabled.
See ya, Ldfa.

Maybe it works only for Wine 0.9.61? I don't know but it is said in the original post that it should work for version above
Thanks a lot. One of the things that keeps me with Windows is the inability to run Maxthon and the need to use Firefox, which I hate.
Quote: Original posted by abc@home at 10-6-2008 15:02

Maybe it works only for Wine 0.9.61? I don't know but it is said in the original post that it should work for version above

Yes, I try with Wine v0.9.61 and I can set the drive c: path. But I have same error message with rpcrt4.dll.
See ya, Ldfa.

Thanks..

Thanks for that.. but what are the legal issues? will that be an issue if i try to use? like infilterating the IE EULA?
Vishnu M.
http://beautifulminds.in

Reply 10# Vishnu's post

We not are sure. Maybe the developers of IEs4Linux has a better idea.
Hi guys, I am using Linux more and more but I can't get used to Firecrap, I hate it and need Maxthon desperately.

No luck yet? Nobody has managed to make it run well? Any Maxthon for Linux version expected?

When I come back to Windows and run Maxthon I feel the biggest pleasure, really, such a relief from that slow, heavy and ugly dinosaur that Firefox is. And Firefox is the best choice after Maxthon, so the others are not even mentionable to compare.

Besides, Firefox is a disaster concerning the fonts display in the web sites It makes the Google fonts so small that are unreadable. If I make them larger then other ones will become gigantic.. and so forth and so on.... and that is the crap that everyone says it's the browser #1... amazing.
I actually never knew that linux had such a nice GUI. Maybe that is why Clinton said to get Ubuntu. I might look into Linux. Thanks for inspiring me.
Quote: Original posted by fireworking at 22-11-2008 04:49

I actually never knew that linux had such a nice GUI. Maybe that is why Clinton said to get Ubuntu. I might look into Linux. Thanks for inspiring me.

Actually, to me Linux GUI is just horrible in all of the distros no matters what little thing they change. It is ugly as hell. The good thing is that you can change it completely and make something decent out of it. But it is by far much uglier than Vista or Mac. And you won't easily find nice icons or windows borders etc. And take a look to Windows 7 and you'll be amazed for how wonderful it looks. Linux by default looks like a depressing communist cheap design from the 70's. And they wonder why people don't use it. Start by the first impression and you'll find the answer.
Quote: Original posted by Culprit at 10-6-2008 10:47

For me is not working

Ubuntu crash report:
Copy to clipboard
Code:
Maxthon crash report: 18161

I am also stuck here. I am using Wine v0.9.61 and the path for C: is disabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply 15# qwak's post

After installing ies4linux, install Maxthon with Wine (or you may try to drag Maxthon's installer into ies4linux window, same thing), run it, copy the .dll's to Wine's system32 folder from your Windows' system32 folder, then run Maxthon.exe..

This should work without step 5, at least worked well under Pardus 2008..

And something weird; OS (Pardus 2008) asked me to install Gecko engine, because it is needed for browsing.. I accepted, Gecko engine downloaded & installed, then Viola!

But be sure that it was the most unstable software I've ever used in my entire life
Windows 7 Ultimate | Internet Explorer 9 | Maxthon 2 (Latest Internal) | Maxthon 3 (Latest Internal)
Join Maxthon Chat
What is Maxthon Chat?
Maxthon Forumu Türkçe Bölümü
Quote: Original posted by qwak at 2008-11-22 12:03

Quote: Original posted by fireworking at 22-11-2008 04:49

Actually, to me Linux GUI is just horrible in all of the distros no matters what little thing they change. It is ugly as hell. The good thing is that you can change it completely and make something decent out of it. But it is by far much uglier than Vista or Mac. And you won't easily find nice icons or windows borders etc. And take a look to Windows 7 and you'll be amazed for how wonderful it looks. Linux by default looks like a depressing communist cheap design from the 70's. And they wonder why people don't use it. Start by the first impression and you'll find the answer.

Well...
Lets look in a positive way. Linux is way better than windows 98
I'm interested in this - I'll have to try it. I'm really becoming frustrated with Firefox, primarily because of Chrome, which is insanely fast and stable and also dragging along at putting out a Linux-based build.

The fonts thing under Ubuntu is because you don't have the Windows fonts installed that the pages are calling on. Find Times New Roman, MS Sans, and Tahoma, and just copy them into your fonts folder. (You might have to use a "sudo" nautilus to change those files.) Just search for .ttf on both machines and you'll figure out where things need to go.

I love the Gnome environment (the desktop environment that Ubuntu uses), and my configuration is a hell of a lot prettier than any Vista theme I've seen, but it's definitely true that the default layout is...less than spectacular, and most of the default skins are a bit too cutesy for my tastes.

"Easily," I guess, doesn't include Gnome-Look?
Guys who can't get past step 5- did you install WINE as a superuser? If so, any WINE-related commands must be preceded by 'sudo'. It is recommended that you do not install WINE as a SU for this reason. Anyways, just a thought.